Artificial intelligence is a growing field, and in so many ways, it is changing our lives. “The global machine learning market was valued at $1.58B in 2017 and is expected to reach $20.83B in 2024,” Forbes.
Pursuing a Master’s in Machine Intelligence is one of the best ways to be part of this field that’s revolutionizing the entire world. In this week’s blog, we will explain what a Masters in Machine Intelligence is, who it’s for, and the available career options for those who have pursued the program.
A Master’s in Machine Intelligence provides students with fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence (AI). In a past blog, we explained what artificial intelligence means. In a nutshell, artificial intelligence refers to machines, software, or systems that can perform tasks that require human thinking & intelligence abilities.
According to Brookings, a system must have three qualities to be able to qualify as artificial intelligence. Firstly, it should make decisions using real-time data. Secondly, AI systems are intelligent, which means that in conjunction with machine learning and data analytics, they can make smart decisions that only human beings can make. Finally, an AI system should be able to learn and adapt as it processes the data.
All this should happen autonomously.
Now that you have a slight understanding of what AI is about let’s find out if a Master’s in Machine Intelligence is for you. . The program is designed for people with an interest in creating technologies of the future and those who find being innovative exciting. This course is also designed for young Africans, who are interested in leveraging technology for the development of Africa.
“I applied to this Master’s because the content given here is both very broad and deep. Machine Intelligence is going to be a revolutionary field, maybe because of the industrial revolution, and this program gives you both the knowledge and connection to start a career in this field,” Ahmed Eltayeb Khalid, African Masters in Machine Intelligence (AMMI) 2018 Alumnus.
So, what can you do with a Masters in Machine Intelligence? As mentioned by Sara Ebrahim Mohammad above, after completing the Masters in Machine Intelligence, one can decide to pursue a PhD. If that’s your goal, a Master’s in Machine Intelligence would allow you to take, but not limited to, the following PhD degrees:
- PhD Program in Machine Learning: This program prepares students to lead profound development in machine learning, data analysis, optimization, etc.
- PhD in Artificial Intelligence (AI): a PhD in AI trains students in the latest developments and broad applications of Artificial Intelligence.
What one can do with a Masters in Machine Intelligence goes beyond preparing them for a PhD. The increase of artificial intelligence applications leads to an increase in career options available for people with the necessary skills. Those careers include:
- Software Engineering: AI goes hand in hand with software engineering because it’s on this software that the AI runs. Software Engineers deal with the design and development of digital and computer systems.
- Artificial Intelligence Research: according to Forbes, Artificial Intelligence Researchers explore new ways and systems of solving problems. It’s a very exciting field for people passionate about inventing new ways of doing things.
- Natural Language Processing: from chatbots to virtual assistants such as Siri, AI is widely applied in language processing. People who work in the natural language processing field build algorithms that make it possible for computers to communicate with humans successfully.
- Data Analytics: being successful in the artificial intelligence industry as a Data Analyst is probably easier than other professionals in the field. This is because data is what drives artificial intelligence; without data, there wouldn’t be AI.
In this modern and connected world, businesses increasingly rely on data to make decisions which make artificial intelligence an integral part of the decision-making process for many businesses. Pursuing a Masters in Machine Intelligence allows you to be part of the revolution and more. It allows you to be at the cutting-edge of a technology that’s not just changing how we live but one that can be leveraged to improve African’s livelihoods and drive sustainable development.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in this field, the applications for the African Masters in Machine Intelligence are currently open. You can apply here and be part of the African pool of experts in the machine intelligence ecosystem who are leveraging AI to improve important aspects of our lives, such as health & Agriculture.