The training component of the fellowship program aims to build data science capacity of civil servants from selected National Statistical Offices (NSO) and other key government institutions of 13 countries.
Building on past experiences of implementing the Big Data for Development project with the support of the World Bank Group, AIMS has developed an Introductory Data Science Course which will be delivered over a month with the following:
1. Python for Data Science
2. Data Pre-processing
3. Data Visualization
4. Machine Learning (ML) in Python
5. Real-Life Use Cases
This introductory course aims to teach the essential basics of processing large scale datasets using Python. In addition, the course also teaches how to perform common data science tasks such as data wrangling and building machine learning models in Python. This course takes a practical approach to equip participants with the most essential tools in the shortest possible time. The course emphasizes learning by doing, as such, there are a lot of exercises built into the course to give participants ample time to practice and be able to develop their respective use cases to apply these skills in real-life problems including COVID-19 data analysis.
The objectives and outcomes of the course will be adjusted to the program expectations.
1. Understand intermediate to advanced concepts of the Python language including data structures, functions, classes and the python packages ecosystem
2. Perform data science tasks using Python: data ingestion, processing, visualization, web scraping etc.
3. Handle large scale dataset (20gb+) using Apache Spark: big data basics, Hadoop ecosystem, cloud computing platforms, big data processing with Apache Spark.
4. Familiarize with essential machine learning (ML) theory: the learning problem, types of learning, loss functions, linear models, deep learning and more.
5. Build and evaluate machine learning models: use scikit-learn and TensorFlow to build and evaluate models using Python.
6. Appreciate real world ML and big data use cases: object detection in android devices, analyze large scale gps data for human mobility use cases or COVID-19.
Over 70 civil servants from various institutions of governments of 13 countries (Botswana, Ghana, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Somaliland and Togo) and the UN Economic Commission of Africa (UNECA) are expected to participate in this training.