Applications closing date: 7 June 2016
This scheme is for scientists to attend the Royal Society Commonwealth Science Conference in Singapore in June 2017.
Following the success of the 2014 Commonwealth Science Conference, the Royal Society and National Research Foundation, Singapore, are working together to organise the next Commonwealth Science Conference in Singapore on 13-16 June 2017.
The conference will bring together leading scientists to showcase the best science from across the Commonwealth, celebrate excellence in science, and provide opportunities for cooperation between researchers in different Commonwealth countries. Find further information about the conference.
The conference will be attended by approximately 400 scientists from across the Commonwealth, from a range of career stages. To select these delegates, the Royal Society are running three rounds of applications:
- PhD students – only nominated PhD students can apply (Nominated PhD students will be contacted directly)
- Early career scientists
- Established scientists
Those scientists who are selected to attend will receive financial support from the Royal Society to cover international travel costs to the conference. Accommodation and conference delegate fees will also be met thanks to the generous financial support of the National Research Foundation, Singapore.
PhD students can only apply if they have been nominated and will be contact directly with information about the application process. PhD student who have not been nominated, are not eligible to apply.
Early career scientists must:
- have a PhD (i.e. must have completed and been awarded a PhD by the time of application), or have extensive research experience at an equivalent level
- be in the early stages of their research career and have no more than 10 years research experience since their PhD at the time of application
Established scientists must:
- have a PhD, or have extensive research experience at an equivalent level
- be an established researcher with more than 10 years research experience since their PhD at the time of application
Both early career and established scientists must either:
- be a national of a Commonwealth country (including the UK) or
- currently hold a research post at a university or publically funded research organisation in a Commonwealth country (including UK), which must span the duration of the Commonwealth Science Conference
The travel grant covers:
- Economy return flight to Singapore
- Up to £50 towards the following
- Local ground transportation to and from home airport
- Visa fee (if applicable)
*Established scientists from Canada, Europe (including UK), Australia, New Zealand, Brunei, Barbados or the Bahamas, will receive a contribution towards an economy return flight to Singapore of up to £500.
Accommodation for the duration of the conference and conference delegate fees will be met by the National Research Foundation Singapore.
For more about the travel grant and application process, click here.