We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
Established in 2003 in Cape Town, South Africa, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a PanAfrican network of centres of excellence offering postgraduate training, research, and public engagement for the advancement of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in Africa. Building on the success of its first Centre in South Africa, AIMS launched the Next Einstein Initiative (NEI) in 2008 to scale up and roll out the AIMS model across the continent. Five additional centres were established in Senegal (2011), Ghana (2012), Cameroon (2013), Tanzania (2014), and Rwanda (2016). Its global secretariat is situated in Kigali, Rwanda and it has global offices in United Kingdom, Germany and Canada. AIMS vision is to lead the transformation of Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries which benefit the whole of society and its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. Collectively, AIMS centres provide an intensive and broad education to over 275 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment. If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Director, Communications & Public Engagement
Based from the AIMS-NEI Secretariat, and reporting to the President & CEO, the Director, Communications & Public Engagement, you will be responsible to create, plan and implement an effective communications strategy that builds and strengthens brand awareness, leveraging a variety of traditional and non-traditional communications mediums to actively engage existing and new stakeholders. As a dynamic and multi-talented communications professional, you will champion and be an ambassador to tell the AIMS story and to capture the right levels of profile, partnerships and recognition. You have a demonstrated ability to interpret, develop and implement thoughtfully constructed strategies to engage a variety of audiences both internal and external to the organization and to contribute to its continued growth and advancement of goals and objectives – ultimately to cultivate the Next Einstein – all while giving leadership to and managing a team of up to 8 direct and indirect team members. You recognize the value of a strong media and social presence and you are comfortably at ease striking, building and nurturing key relationships that cross multiple geographic, cultural and messaging mechanisms to achieve impact and reach. You are known for your creativity and your ability to influence desired stakeholder behaviors by effectively articulating your thoughts verbally, in writing and through visual means.
You are no stranger to the realities of a decentralized service delivery model and have the ability to establish
and implement a variety of operational and administrative protocols, practices and systems to support and
manage all aspects associated with a seamless communications function.
This is a full-time, open opportunity based at the Secretariat in Kigali, Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (preferred) in communications, journalism, public relations or related field required along with 10+ years of relevant experience at a management level
• Significant political and media network in Africa and globally
• Must be a self-starter with natural leadership and team building abilities
• Articulate communicator (written, verbal and visual) with exceptional English language skills; French language skills are a desired advantage
• Flexible to adapt to a dynamic, evolving environment alongside a growing team of uniquely diverse professionals
• Ability to understand and adapt behaviour to a decentralized governance structure working with local Communications expertise at centre level for harmonization and quality assurance across the network
• Self-sufficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and savvy with web-based applications (Dropbox, Google, Skype, Social Media)
• Familiar with the political, social, economic and cultural context of working in Africa
• A genuine interest in STEM education and research
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV as one document, in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please quote “Director, CPE” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until April 15, 2019. Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer